Friday 19 February 2010

PART 1: Project: Dividing The Frame, Exercise: Balance

For this exercise I have looked at images not taken as part of TAOP, most were taken before I started the course.


Both lighthouse buildings are close enough together to be considered one element and I consider the other balancing element to be the sky on the left. The buildings carry a bit more weight for me:



The balance in this image is a bit more complex, I see it as the group of NYPD cops and their two cars. I think the cops carry more visual weight because our eyes are attracted to people first:






This image also has human interest but the figure is so small in the frame and his colours so muted compared to the ribbons I think he has less visual weight:



This is one of my favourite pre-TAOP images and analysing it in terms of balance maybe explains why. Again I think the figure carries more visual weight because of our visual interest in people. But the bicycles balance the figure in just the right proportion:



The balance in this image is more subtle, I think the two elements in balance are the buildings and the out of sight setting sun, both are fairly equal in visual weight and I think the sun being in the middle lessens it's impact:



This image also has a subtle balance I think it is the figure balanced by the cloud formation above him, again the figure has more visual weight:


Key Learning points:

My more succesful pre TAOP images appear to have balance but this seems to be more succesful compositionally when there is a proportionate visual weight between the two.

Balance can be in the vertical plane as well as the horizontal (and possibly diagonal?)

No comments:

Post a Comment