Sunday 8 August 2010

PART 2: Project: Points, Exercise: The relationship between points


In this first example, the points are the rings on each post, there isn’t much difference between the two but the one on the left seems to take more attention from the eye. As in the single point image, this point is closer to the edge of the frame and perhaps this gives it slightly more visual weight. I also think the interaction of the lines (ropes) leads the eye to the point on the right.




In this example, I feel that both points compete for attention even though they are different in shape. They both have implied lines in different directions, this leads to a composition which never really resolves itself. The eye seems to dart between both implied lines never settling on one.



In this example, the points are equal in the frame but surprisingly for me, the eye seems to go to the point on the right first. I think this is because there is a downward line pointing to it and also perhaps it lies on a third.

Key Learning Points

I found this exercise quite thought provoking as it’s not just the points themselves that make up the composition but the interaction of the points and lines (real and implied) in the image. I suspect that points against a blank background works less well as a composition. In fact I shot such an image recently (below) and wondered why it didn’t work for me, this learning point probably explains why.

No comments:

Post a Comment